Tuesday, May 26, 2020

Trek Day Twenty-Three

american meals
"He asked Jesus, 'And who is my neighbor?'" - from Luke 10:25-37

From today's Trek card, by Dave Schrock-Shenk:

My American Airlines flight was packed. Passengers from a canceled United Airlines flight had switched to American at the last minute. The pilot addressed us on the intercom: "We're glad we had enough seats for our friends from United. Unfortunately, we don't have enough meals. When the flight attendants come by, tell them if you're 'American,' in which case you'll get dinner, or 'United,' in which case you'll get  a soda." At first I was relieved. I was an "American passenger." I would get supper. Then I thought about my seatmates. Would I share my food with them if they were "United"?
I was relieved when my seatmates told the attendant they were also "American." But, then I started wondering if the people in the seats right behind me got food, and the people behind them. Should I share my food with them? If I started sharing, where would I stop? I didn't turn around to check. As long as I didn't see them, I was able to eat.

I face the temptation "not to look" at the hungry or homeless people in the world. But I know looking away makes me a bit more calloused, and a bit less human. Gaining an awareness of those with too little -- better yet sharing a meal with them -- makes me more human.


Questions for Today
What do I need to help me respond more faithfully to those in need?
When, if ever, do I come face to face with poor people?
How does that happen?
What values and beliefs are reflected by where I choose to live?

No comments: