Thursday, May 28, 2020

Trek Day Twenty-Five

enough solidarity
"We have nothing here but five loaves and two fish … all ate and were filled." - from Matthew 14:13-21

In today's reflection, Krista-Anne Rigalo recalls her time serving in the capital city Kinshasa, of Democratic Republic of Congo. While she was aware her financial circumstances were far greater than that of those around her, she struggled with not having enough to give in the way she desired. Her volunteer salary of $50 a month left her utterly overwhelmed. She certainly could give a few dollars or a bag of rice, but she found herself repeating aloud and within her own mind, "It's never enough!" She began to wonder why God would bring her to a place where she would witness overwhelming suffering without having the resources needed to respond.

She says, she eventually came to understand how her neighbors there were surviving:
They called it African Solidarity. When you have a little bit, you share. When you're in need, you ask friends and family for help. Everyone gives as they are able, because no one is sure when they will need to ask. ...Now it seems egotistical to think I could or should take on the burdens of the world. I know God brought me here with limited means to participate and suffer with others, as one of many in God's family. I give as I can, and help those in need think how they can share in their turn. If we act together in solidarty with others, there can be enough.

Questions for Today

Do I miss the chance to do what I can because I can't do it all?
Am I reluctant to contribute toward a need my gift cannot completely meet?
What could I do in order to be able to give more to meet the needs of those who do not have enough?

No comments: