Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Trek Day Three

taxing wildflowers
"the pastures of the wilderness overflow, the hills gird themselves with joy..." - from Psalm 65

In today's reflection, Ellen L. Davis-Zehr contemplates our definitions of poverty and abundance. She notes that she and her husband are both capable of earning more income than they presently do, but because of choices they have made, they are defined by the government as poor. Filling out their tax forms confirmed this. But the choices they made over the years provided them with an abundance that cannot be defined on an income tax form. A lifestyle as market gardeners on a small acreage has given them an abundance of wildflowers blooming, the antics of goats, and plenty of time working, playing and learning together with their children. It has also meant a deepening of their spiritual lives, enough quiet time, enough friendships, enough joy. She says

My husband and I could earn more money... but would we have time for wildflower projects that delight our son? Could we and our neighbors help each other? Would I make space in my life for prayer if we got rid of the goats that are not "economically viable?" I will continue to measure my wealth by standards other than adjusted gross income. I am happy to be so richly poor.

Questions for Today
Are my core values reflected in my lifestyle?
Do my closest friends support my values or push me away from being true to what I believe?
On what basis do I make my choices about how to spend my life?
Do I know someone whose lifestyle is aligned with values I commend?
Might I reach out to such a person to talk about the journey of pursuing a life in harmony with core values?

No comments: