Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Trek Day Four

i've seen the pygmies dance...
"the mountains and the hills before you shall burst into song ..." - from Isaiah 55:6-13



Today's reflection card from Trek includes a poem by global ministry partner, Pam Ferguson. Reflecting on the unexpected joys and challenges brought by living attentively day by day, she finds that even the struggles come with gifts to celebrate.

Life is surprising that way.




I have been surprised by life.
What an amazing amount of experiences I've had in the past 40 years.
     Some good... and some bad...
I've seen the pygmies dance.
I swam in the Indian Ocean.
I gathered sea shells on Zanzibar Island.
I've seen the whirling dervishes in Khartoum.
     And a riot in the middle of Kampala.
I've smelled incense from sandalwood, frankincense and myrrh.
     And open sewers, burning trash, rotting flesh, drying fish and camel dung.
I've awakened to the Muslim call to prayer.
I heard the explosion of a landmine.
     And gunshots fired in celebration, in fear, in anger and in rebellion.
An AK 47 was aimed at me as thieves stole our car.

I know there is much in life that I have not experienced,
     nor have I lived as fully as I was capable.
I am surprised that those regrets aren't the focus of my life.
Now I am catching glimpses of my life at 50 years, at 60 years and at 80 years.
What a joy to discover that I may have half of my life to live.
Forty more years of choices, of experiences and of people.
Forty more years with a man I love.
And forty more years of walking, loving and living with my God.

I am surprised.  -- Pam Ferguson

The theme for this whole first week of Trek is "enough joy." All the questions for reflection today ask us to think about what enough joy looks like.

Questions for Today
What experiences give me my deepest joy?
Are there ways I could earn a living while serving others in ways that bring me a deep sense of joy?
Have I personally had experiences like the writer's, of knowing joy even in times of danger, toil and stress?
What have been the high points of my life so far?





No comments: