Saturday, February 25, 2012

Week Wrap-Up

Consider this a bonus post.  Several readers have asked for a digital version of the devotional guide I wrote for use at UniPlace this Lent.  I don't really have one ... but I have an IPhone.  :-)

The photos inserted here will give you glimpses of the guide and the inserted text includes all the readings for this first (shortened) week.


Treasure God’s Covenant
Wed - Psalm 25:11-14

11 For your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.

12 Who are they that fear the Lord? He will teach them the way that they should choose.

13 They will abide in prosperity, and their children shall possess the land.

14 The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

Thurs - Psalm 25:4-7

4Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.

5Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.

6Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.

7Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness’ sake, O Lord!

Fri - Psalm 122:6

6Pray for the peace of Jerusalem: “May they prosper who love you.
7Peace be within your walls, and security within your towers.”

Sat – O Love That Will Not Let Me Go Chalice Hymnal # 540

Vs 3  O Joy that seekest me through pain
I cannot close my heart to thee;
I trace the rainbow through the rain,
and feel the promise is not vain,
that morn shall tearless be.

A Week of Questions: W-What do I treasure? What does prosperity look like to me? If the clue to what holds my heart is the place where my mind first wanders when it is at rest … where is my treasure? Th- Am I a friend of God who is teachable? Fri- How might I express my trust in the steadfast love of God who makes a covenant with me? Do I feel secure in God? Sat - What brings my tears? What brings me joy?


Abraham Joshua Heschel
The sort of crimes and even the amount of delinquency that fill the prophets of Israel with dismay do not go beyond that which we regard as normal, as typical ingredients of social dynamics. To us a single act of injustice--cheating in business, exploitation of the poor--is slight; to the prophets, a disaster. To us injustice is injurious to the welfare of the people; to the prophets it is a deathblow to existence: to us, an episode; to them, a catastrophe, a threat to the world .

Final Question of the Week:  As I seek to treasure God's covenant, am I as passionate as the prophets about God's call for justice and integrity, or have I become complacent about the daily delinquency of social dynamics? 

3 comments:

Kay Mahannah said...

Your final question of the week really echoed what's been burdening my heart the past few weeks. Thank you for sharing this. It's good to share these burdens and concerns so we can hopefully work to make a real change.

Sincerely Myself said...

Would love a copy of the devotional! Could you mail me one??

UniPlaceRev said...

I will mail one out to you!