Saturday, February 25, 2012

I Already Have This One


I am old enough to remember the inherent disappointment in opening a box of Cracker Jacks only to discover the prize inside was exactly the same as one found in a previous box.  My children, I know, experienced the same emotion when the toy in their Happy Meal was identical to one already received.  The common exclamation: "But .... I already HAVE this one!"

This was exactly my response twice this week when I opened my daily chocolate to see again the same message: "Take a deep breath & exhale"  Really?  Again?  Why not, "Be the first one on the dance floor," or "Somewhere someone is thinking of you" or "Your smile is your best accessory."  I already have this one.

It didn't take long, though, before I remembered an overused but helpful sermon illustration that has made its way into my preaching in the past.  A young seminarian tries out for his first pulpit in a small Kentucky church.  He preaches an outstanding first sermon on the text "Where your treasure is, there your heart will be also."  The sermon is fiery, passionate, direct and full of biblical quotations on the importance of giving generously to the work of the Lord. He is hired on the spot and the small town is buzzing with excitement about the outstanding new preacher.  On his second Sunday attendance is up and the congregation sits expectantly waiting for the sermon.  When the time comes, the seminarian preaches EXACTLY the same sermon from the week before.  As they shake hands with him at the door the congregation is polite but puzzled, whispering to one another, "he probably had a busy week at school, next week he'll have a new topic."  But the next week rolls around and then another one after that, and now the congregation has heard the same (finely polished) sermon four times.  Finally the board chair takes the young man aside and says, "That is a truly fine sermon you wrote about generosity in giving.  Truly fine.  But we're all wondering when you are going to give us a different sermon.  You know, everyone has already heard this one now."  The seminarian responds, "Well I've checked with the treasurer each Monday and I'm still waiting for word this one is being put into practice before I burden ya'll with even more to do."



Ok.  I get it.  Breathe.

1 comment:

Sincerely Myself said...

Oh silly pastors and their lessons. ;)