Friday, February 24, 2012

Music in the Air



One of the many things I love about my office at Uniplace Christian Church is the live music which plays almost all day every day just outside my door.  Several outstanding musicians, including Samir Golescu, Delre' Smith and Richard Hertel regularly rehearse and/or teach students in our sanctuary and Knight Hall.  Our very accomplished choral conductor, Leonard Rumery, rehearses our chancel choir each week and perfect-pitched Sarah Scott illicits songs of Jubilee from a happy assemblage of glad-to-be-musicians.  Whether the sounds are of flute duets, piano solos, organ recitals, soaring vocal arias, riffs from acoustic guitars or even the occasional kazoo choir, there is almost always music in the air at Uniplace Christian Church. What a gift!

This week I was blessed to hear Leonard rehearsing the chancel choir as they prepared to sing for us this Sunday "O Pray for the Peace of Jerusalem."  The link above is the Wells College Choir performing that piece, not our choir at Uniplace, but I don't have any way to share with you exactly what it is I was blessed to listen to from my office.  (O wait a minute, yes I do.  Come worship with us at10 am this Sunday!)  Our choir's interpretation of the piece (and peace!) is rich in emotion and gorgeous harmonies.  The repetitive lyrics of the anthem remind me of my breath prayer practice for Lent.  What would it mean for me to sincerely pray for the peace of Jerusalem?  For peace in other places of seemingly endless conflict?  For peace in my own life where conflict seems unavoidable and unending?

As we prepare for Sunday worship, may we all be singing, praying, breathing .... prayers for peace.

3 comments:

eslifer said...

I am so happy that we do have such excellent musicians in our congregation. They inspire me. I like the breath prayer, too. we tried it years ago in elder's meetings. May God bless us and open our eyes as we reach to others during Lenten season.

UniPlaceRev said...

E., thank you for sharing this Lenten journey with me. You will love the music in the morning ...

Sincerely Myself said...

Lovely - just lovely. Glad to see youtube links are up and running for you!