Thursday, February 23, 2012

Breathe In, Breathe Out

I decided this Lent that God doesn't hate chocolate -- especially not chocolate that is fair trade and organically grown.  Or chocolate that comes pre-wrapped in reasonably sized portions complete with encouraging messages.  So I didn't even try to give up chocolate this year.  Instead, I decided to discipline myself just enough to limit my daily intake to one section of a fair trade bar purchased at church, or one piece of a beautifully wrapped bite of dark chocolate retrieved from my freezer.  As disciplines go, it's not mortification of the flesh, but hey, it's a start.

On Ash Wednesday I retrieved my treat from the freezer to find this message: take a deep breath & exhale.  I didn't even know Dove chocolate makers knew about breath prayers, but somebody seems to be on to me. 

You see, my REAL Lenten discipline this year is the one I already communicated to the congregation in a pastoral letter sent last Saturday.  I promised that each morning when I read the scripture or hymn text from our daily devotional guide I would choose a phrase to use as my breath prayer for that day.  A breath prayer is a simple exercise of taking a deep breath as you recite the first half of a short repetitive prayer and exhaling as you finish the thought.  A common example is, "Lord have mercy, Christ have mercy."  My breath prayer for Ash Wednesday was "Teach me the way .... that I should choose." The context of the prayer is Psalm 25, one of our devotional texts this week:
Wed - Psalm 25:11-14
11 For your name’s sake, O Lord, pardon my guilt, for it is great.
12 Who are they that fear the Lord? He will teach them the way that they should choose.
13 They will abide in prosperity, and their children shall possess the land.
14 The friendship of the Lord is for those who fear him, and he makes his covenant known to them.

Today the practice continues with a new breath prayer: "Teach me your paths, lead me in truth."  It is drawn again from Psalm 25 as part of today's reading:
Thurs - Psalm 25:4-7
4Make me to know your ways, O Lord; teach me your paths.
5Lead me in your truth, and teach me, for you are the God of my salvation; for you I wait all day long.
6Be mindful of your mercy, O Lord, and of your steadfast love, for they have been from of old.
7Do not remember the sins of my youth or my transgressions; according to your steadfast love remember me, for your goodness’ sake, O Lord!

As I continue breathing in and breathing out, it is today's devotional question that remains with me: "Am I a friend of God who is teachable?"   It's time again: take a deep breath and exhale.

2 comments:

Sincerely Myself said...

I love the idea of these breath prayers. And Kristin and I can't wait to present you with a beautiful, truly unique blog design soon!

I'm going to try and breathe deep today.

UniPlaceRev said...

Glad to know you're breathing along with me. Thank you for all your help as I venture into the blogosphere.