Monday, May 4, 2020

Trek: Day Two


missing almost everything
"...I have suffered the loss of all things ... that I may gain Christ ..." - from Philippians 3:7-16

Today's reflection card beings with a quote,  "The secret of the spiritual life is the willingness to miss almost everything" (author unknown).

In our culture, we are accustomed to having almost unlimited choices. I have noticed personally, and heard many of you remark, that it just feels strange to go to the grocery store and find limited choices of meat available. To not be able to purchase flour or yeast. Or to find all the produce gone except fennel bulbs and kohlrabi (grab those treasures, they are pure gold!) We are used to having dozens of choices any night of the week of where we can go and what we can do. "Do you feel like a movie? Walking around at the mall? Going out to dinner? Which restaurant?"  People ask frequently, "When will we be able to get back to normal?" And often, the "normal" envisioned is this kind of abundance of choices.


Early childhood educators know that having too many choices actually produces stress and creates an underlying feeling of dissatisfaction in our pliable human brains. Children play much more contentedly when choices are limited and expectations are clear. Susan Classen writes in today's reflection:

Following Jesus means accepting that the way is narrow. Walking faithfully doesn't offer the lure of endless options. But the boundaries provided by committing myself to the narrow way provide the frame-work I need so my energy can flow with purpose and direction. Being willing to "miss almost everything" enables me to live my uique, spiritual calling fully and deeply.

Questions for Today
What life choices have I made that reflect my relationship with God?
If fulfillment comes when our fundamental choices reflect our fundamental values, 
what are my fundamental values?
How am I affected by the options that surround me? 

2 comments:

Marla and Rod said...

Agree with too many choices causing undue stress. When we go back to "normal" our hope and focus will be on being committed to offering ourselves fewer choices but also trying to make better ones. To do this, we are going to make a plan on what to avoid and what will keep us closest to God and each other. Easier said than done but it's an attainable goal.

UniPlaceRev said...

Marla, I am glad to hear that this big pause in life has given you and Rod a space for such important conversation as a couple. Ed and I are having the same discussion. What of what we "have to give up" right now are we ready to voluntary give up for the long haul? What among the choices we are making now are choices we want to make permanent in "the new normal"? I'm grateful for your engagement in this deeper conversation.