Thursday, May 7, 2020

Trek Day Five

Fishy Assumptions
"One's life does not consist in the abundance of possessions." - from Luke 12:13-34

As we continue this journey … into joy, into abundance, into the meaning of life, into enough ...we are challenged by a word from Jesus. Life isn't about the abundance of possessions. I've never heard a person in real life claim that it is. But most people I know, including me, too often live as though we believe that it is. I find a strange comfort in knowing that this human failing goes back millennia.

In today's reflection, Earl Martin shares a story of Anthony de Mello, a priest from India, that you may have heard before.

The rich industrialist from the North was horrified to find the Southern fisherman lying leisurely beside his boat.
"Why aren't you fishing?" asked the industrialist.
"Because I have caught enough fish for the day," said the fisherman.
"Why don't you catch some more?"
"What would I do with it?"
"You could earn more money," was the reply. "With that you could fix a motor to your boat, go into deeper waters and catch more fish. Then you would make enough to buy nylon nets. These would bring you more fish and more money. Soon you would have enough money to own two boats... maybe even a fleet of boats. Then you would be a rich man like me."
"What would I do then?"
"Then you could really enjoy life."
"What do you think I am doing right now?"




The tension evident in today's questions points to a tough area of discernment for me. I am a strong believer in saving, prudence and frugality. Yet, I also want to savor each day and enjoy life in the moment. I don't want to be a hoarder, but I also don't want to wastefully consume things or toss stuff aside without considering the environmental impact of my buying and discarding behavior. It seems so much of our consumerist culture is built on fishy assumptions of what will make us happy, and the result is astonishing levels of depression and anxiety, even in people who have no real lack of things.

Questions for Today
Will the amount of things I own continue to grow throughout my life, or will I eventually say, "that's enough"?
How much do I need to accumulate before I can do what I really want to do?
What am I doing now to enjoy life?
What is a good balance of "deferred gratification" and "taking no thought for tomorrow"?

2 comments:

Jess said...

Ben and I both have the “improver” urge. When we look at things, we see what could be better. When we don’t have the resources to fix or improve something, it can lead to discouragement or discontentment. I strive to find belongings and spaces that I wish were “better” or more beautiful or more perfect, lovable in their simplicity and imperfection (including people, including myself)- but I don’t succeed often. :) It’s a life-time project for this beauty hoarder.

UniPlaceRev said...

Jess, I like that phrase, "beauty hoarder." One of the very early conversations Ed and I had in our marriage was about the accumulation of things and the improvement of things. He was stressing the utilitarian side of decisions in that moment, and I remember saying that sometimes we hold on to something or improve something because beauty, while not always useful, is also a real need. It is for me.

Thanks for being on this journey with me!