Tuesday, May 19, 2020

Trek Day Sixteen

travel lightly on this earth
"Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?" - from Matthew 6:24-33

Years ago a guest from New Zealand who was traveling across the US stayed at my home for a few nights. I was amazed that she had all her belongings for her two month trek in a small backpack. I had traveled internationally only once, and had taken four times as much stuff with me.  How much is enough when you are traveling? 

When packing for a trip, I am often guided by my fears of not having something I might want. So I take lots of options, not knowing for sure what "the perfect choice" will be days later. I don't consider myself a clothes horse, but I definitely have more clothes than I actually need. Clothing gives us a way to project our creativity and originality, as well as keep us comfortable in different kinds of weather.  If I'm honest, it wouldn't be difficult to take much less when I travel, and it would take the stress out of deciding what to wear each day. It would be great to feel less burdened when on the road.

Is not life more than food and the body more than clothing? How much extra am I carrying through life that adds to the burdens of my day.

Questions for Today
How do my clothes reflect my personality and my values?
How do the clothes we wear distinguish between the rich and the poor?
Did the people who made my clothes get a fair wage for their work?
What happens to clothes I wear when I am done with them?



No comments: