Monday, May 4, 2020

Trek Day One


 the meaning of life
"I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly" - from John 10:7-18

As I mentioned in the sermon this Sunday, there are times when I know I need to be told, "enough is enough!" Despite an advertising industry which tries to convinces us that we are never rich enough or thin enough, a true experience of living an abundant life is not determined by our bank accounts, the glamour of our bodies, or how much stuff we accumulate. In todays reflection card, Dave Schrock-Shenk reminds us

"Jesus said he came to bring us a full, abundant life. During this week we will reflect on what we think a fulfilled or abundant life is. Our undertsandings of what life is about grow out of our deepest beliefs. They reflect who we understand God to be, and how we think the world works."


I remember long ago a friend who taped magazine pages to her refrigerator depicting the life she wanted to achieve. It included a mini-mansion kind of house and a speed boat and an expensive car. There were also photos of super thin models with perfect hair and skin. She told me she needed to look at those photos every time she went to the fridge because they reminded her that she needed to work more hours, work out at the gym, and stay focused on advancing her career so she could earn a higher income. Sadly, I have known many friends who got the successful career, the boat, the car, and even the perfect hair, skin and body -- but remained intensely unhappy and dissatisfied with their lives.

I have heard countless times someone say with confidence, "that's what life's all about!" More often than not, I find myself internally cocking my head and saying, "really?" I remember fondly the scenes of Cubs fans spilling out into Chicago streets celebrating and singing together. A rush of good feelings, to be sure. But I don't think "that's what life's all about." I swelled with pride at each of my children's graduation ceremonies and enjoyed the celebration. But I don't think "that's what life's all about." Nor the wonderful evening with a wine glass in my hand relaxing at a friend's lake house, nor any of the many delicious feasts I've enjoyed with family.

Todays Questions
So what is life all about? 
What makes life abundant? 
What images come to mind as you think of Jesus' statement that he came to bring us an "abundant life"?


No comments: