Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Ashes, Ashes

As a child I played the game "ring around the rosies" and delighted in the final twirling of the circle as we sang, "ashes! ashes! we all fall DOWN!" Then we would release our hands and tumble to the ground.

Every Ash Wednesday as I mix the oil and charred leaves from last Holy Week's palm fronds, this chorus fills my mind. I think of the humiliated disciples of Jesus who fled when he was arrested. I think of the fallen preachers and teachers who didn't live up to the expectations others had of them. I think of my own failures and remember, "we all fall down." Tonight as I smudge the foreheads of people in my community, people I love who make my journey more precious, my heart swells with grace knowing we are, every one, twirling in the same circle.

No comments: