Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I Don't Get It ...


A few weeks ago in our Monday Night Bible Study we discussed how dense the disciples of Jesus were.  We readily admitted we are their kin.  At one point in his Gospel, the evangelist Matthew has Jesus asking his disciples, "Have you understood all this?"  They confidently answer, "Yes" (13:51).  We all noted, however, that subsequent events reveal how little they truly understand (16:21-23; 20:20-28).

I asked my son Luke last night to keep the laughter in our house healthy by showing me a funny YouTube clip every day.  Today he came up with this one:


Out of the mouths of babes, indeed.

What is remarkable to me about the Christian journey is that Jesus does not give up on us.  In fact, the Gospels all reveal that he continues to invest in, instruct, and cajole us into understanding.  Even after our catastrophic failings. Even after our betrayals.  Even after our wide-eyed confusion and re-counting of our fingers have made it ever so clear his teaching is beyond us.  Even after he says "Now do you get it?" and we lie through our teeth and say, "Yes."

Still, he meets us on the other side of resurrection and promises us, "I will be with you until the end of the age."  Still, he entrusts us with the mission of continuing his work to heal the nations and wage peace on earth (Matthew 28:16-20).

I don't get it.  But I am grateful.




1 comment:

Sincerely Myself said...

That video is hilarious. Of course Lukey would find that.

The masses call for more Christmas posts - with pictures of your beautiful church decorated.