Tuesday, November 20, 2012

20 Days of Nothing New

Sitting down to a feast of Thanksgiving goodness at church Sunday, I had opportunity to talk with my friend Mary about my Nothing New adventure.  She was shocked to hear that I had actually included food in the "no shopping" ban.  "Yeah, use up everything in the pantry," she said.  "I should do that," she said.

I didn't tell Mary that I was certainly not going to use up everything in the pantry this November.  As the photo here shows, I still have enough jello and tuna fish to see me through the Zombie apocalypse.  And that 24-roll shrink wrap package of toilet paper I bought Halloween night?  Haven't opened it yet.  My pantry is a little overstocked ...

I was raised in a family with four kids and I raised four kids myself, so my understanding of "normal" when it comes to filling pantry shelves is a little skewed.  It may take more than one month of exploring the word "ENOUGH" before I really start to understand the concept ....

2 comments:

bill.strutz@gmail.com said...

All that Jello will avail you naught when a teenager has a growth spurt. Suddenly you will be singing the Mother Hubbard blues.

UniPlaceRev said...

Yes, I know this, Bill. I remember well when Matthew would come home from high school with a bevy of beefy boys. No matter how much of "whatever" I had in the fridge and cabinets ... it was gone in 20 minutes! For now, Luke is a nibbler and I have not adjusted my shopping patterns to match his appetite (or lack thereof)!